Sunday, 7 March 2010

Last Night

This is the new velvet dress I posted about the other day. It was delivered yesterday morning in a nice big ASOS box along with my bag and I was very pleased to see that it's actually made up of panels rather than just being a tube dress, so it fits really well. I wore this with my grey blazer from Topshop which is in a kind of shiny fabric so I thought putting this together with the velvet dress would create quite a nice contrast in textures. I also layered this with my floral shirt to add a bit of colour and dress the look down a bit, same with the grey ribbed socks.
Blazer - Topshop
Shirt - Urban Outfitters
Dress - Mango
Socks - H&M
Boots - Schuh

Anyway, I wore this out to the theatre last night to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at The Lowry Theatre in Salford. I'd been desperate to see this ever since I watched it on TV a few years ago, and it turned out to be even better than I imagined. I am a huge fan of Matthew Bourne's work and loved his versions of Edward Scissorhands, The Car Man and Nutcracker! so I knew I'd love it, but last night I was literally blown away. Not only is the choreography and story incredible but the costumes and sets are just as good, one of my favourites being the swan's costume below, and they all make you feel completely immersed in the story.
Dancing has been a part of my life for almost 14 years now, ever since I went to my first ever dance class wearing a sparkly white tutu at the age of four, and I've always loved watching live dance performances, as well as going to classes in all sorts of styles. My favourite live piece for the past few years has been El Corpo by a Brazilian company called Grupo Corpo. It's this really incredible fusion of jazz and contemporary with a really quirky soundtrack and costumes, as you can see in the picture below.
BUT, I think Swan Lake last night might have just beaten it to the top of my list. So much so that I've just booked to see it again as an 18th birthday treat at the end of the month!

1 comment:

  1. I should have gone to see this...we go see all the Northern Ballet Theatre things.

    I could have gone to do fashion design at UCA last year but chose to do fnd. instead...Learnt So much! It's great to have a year when you can just be as creative as you want. Leeds is good, you need to be able to work really independantly if you go there though...you get a lot more tutor time on my course & there are fewer people. I've had a few more innerviews, just waiting now...So scary.

    Boot heels were an investment...really comfortable believe it or not.

    :D x x x

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to leave me a comment to let me know what you think, it really makes my day to read them! ♥