Sunday, 6 March 2011

photo diary #2


1: outfit from last week (dress: ASOS, jumper: H&M); 2: a meal I randomly came up with, roasted tomato red pesto chicken and spinach pasta; 3&4: my process boards and research work for a menswear jeans project at uni; 5: pocket and fly detail of my jeans toile; 6&7: some new purchases plus old pieces I'm going to start wearing again. Pic 6 from left to right orange top: Topshop (old); cream dipped hem dress: ASOS (old, as seen here) sheer maxi shirt dress & sheer oversized shirt: New Look. Pic 7 left to right; pleated skirt: River Island; black top: ASOS; 8: guess where I'm going!

Two weeks worth of photos here, although I haven't had chance to take that many but this is what I've got. You know when a week or so goes by but it feels more like a month?? That's what happened to me the week before this one. I had a ridiculous amount of work to finish (on the jeans project illustrated in pics 3-5) and basically spent almost all day every day in the sewing room at uni finishing a toile and then a full pair of jeans. I then ended up missing the critique session and hand-in date because I was so exhausted. I had completely lost what little energy I had meaning everything kind of backfired. Thankfully, this week I managed to put things right by having some time to myself to recover as well as hand in the project, so I can now put it behind me as one of those all-important "learning curves".

So that's why I've been really very quiet on here for the past two weeks. Unfortunately you won't hear from me again for another whole week though, but that's for an entirely different and considerably more enjoyable reason. As some of you may have guessed from the last photo, I am off on a trip with uni to London and then Paris until Saturday! We first go to London tomorrow until Wednesday then we get the Eurostar to Paris and spend the rest of the week there! Our brief is to do lots and lots of market research, which basically just means going into every designer shop/department store physically possible, plus we have to source some fabrics and try our hand at a bit of street style photography. So it's safe to say I'm just a bit excited! And it'll be nice to have a week of doing something a bit different so I can come back refreshed and ready to get on with my other project. So, until then, à bientôt!


P.S. I just had to mention the really amazing post that Blair wrote about unhappiness and blogging. I really admire her for bringing this up as I also suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. This is something I have always kept to myself in the past for fear of people seeing and treating me differently,  but her post and all the supportive comments left by her followers made me re-evaluate my reasoning behind this. So I thought that, as a starting point, I would write this here just to prove to myself that I should not be ashamed of something that I cannot help about myself and that there is no reason why I can't be open and honest about it to others. Hopefully this will be my next step in learning to manage my condition and will allow me to feel happier in myself in the future.

13 comments:

  1. Great post. It is nice to see the reality of a university course- looks pretty hectic to me! Also, it was lovely to see the mention to Blair- I too am a follower of her blog. And although it shocked me to hear of her unhappiness it was also comforting to see that others such as her and yourself are coping with these disorders and aren't scared to speak up about them. I too have depression and social anxiety disorder and haven't really spoken about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds like a lot of work and fun! I'm excited for you (and can't wait to see the pics)!
    Sometimes it's really hard to decide which aspect of your personal life to share on your blog and which to keep for yourself. I try not to talk about negative things on my blog, but this doesn't mean that I don't experience harsh times every now and again. We all do! I went through some kind of depression last May and I still struggle to keep my life on track. I try to set myself little goals to keep me motivated, which works ok for now :) So no matter what you do, just don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your outfit in the first photo! The sheer maxi and shirt from New Look are both adorable too!

    Great Post :-)

    Little Rachael Vintage
    Http://littlerachaelvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Alex, it's so interesting to see the work and mechanics behind another uni course (: From the looks of things, your project is really good! Love your recent purchases too, have a lovely time in Paris. Take lots of warm clothing, Paris is freezing at this time of year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful images, i've been scanning through your blog and its beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOve these images! Hope you haven't been too stressed recently... At least you have London & Paris! Market research sounds like the best thing ever :)

    And I'm glad you have brought up this issue (I had no idea you suffered from it). At the end of the day, depression & anxiety disorders are illnesses, and no-one should feel bad or ashamed of themselves when it's usually more than "a-down-in-the-dumps day". I really hope you're okay =\ always here etc :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dinner looks so yummy and I am LOVING the sheer clothes too! :) I wish I was going to Paris but unfortunately I am just writing my dissertation :( If you ever want to talk about your depression then you know where I am, I am more than happy to lend an ear :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely outfit! That pasta dish looks so so good :):O I'm totally jealous about your Paris trip! I definitely think anxiety/depression is something felt by a lot of people and there needs to be more awareness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your lovely comment! my photographer friend will be pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog so much! So glad i found it xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg have fun!! cant wait to go there myself...have fun doing "research" hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have given you the Kreativ Blogger Award. http://dearest-nana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to leave me a comment to let me know what you think, it really makes my day to read them! ♥