Thursday, 5 January 2012

bits and pieces

I've got a few catch-up posts to do, so I thought I'd start with posting about some of the things I got over the Christmas period. Apologies for posting this now, I'd imagine that Christmas is probably the last thing you all want to hear about now it's over, but please just bear with me! First off I was very lucky to win the November Glossybox via a competition run by Motel a few weeks before Christmas. I've never had a Glossybox before so I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about. If I'm honest I've never been one for pampering myself with various beauty products, mainly due to laziness and the belief that no matter how much preening I do it's hardly going to actually make me pretty, but receiving a few free items has definitely altered my opinion somewhat.

Any way on to the contents of my box, obviously I've never had one before so I'm not very sure on how they work, but on their site I saw that they detailed a number of products, however I only received a select amount. As I said I am unfamiliar with the process so those of you who are regulars will have to let me know how it works. Personally I'm not sure the £10 a month subscription fee is worth the number of products that you get really, but that's just me. Still the items I got were lovely, it included Nail Rock Nail Wraps in Black and White Stripe, Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Pre-Shampoo Treatment, Arbonne FC5 Cooling Foot Creme, Dead Sea Spa Magic Facial Wash and Illamasqua Freak Eau de Parfum



































My favourite item has to be the nail wraps, they're so easy to use and great for us lazy types who aren't up for doing complicated nail art ourselves. I put them on in time for Christmas Day and they've lasted quite well up until now. I had to replace a few of them that started to peel a little but other than that I would definitely recommend them! As you can see they aren't exactly perfectly applied (also I apologise for my dry, bitten fingers, that's what worry does to me!) but I imagine application is something I'd get better at with practice! I'd really love to try the black and white polka dot set so they're next on my ever-growing wishlist. Another item that I really love is the Dead Sea Spa Magic face wash, it cleanses my skin beautifully so I've been using it twice a day and it's almost run out! I reckon I'm going to try and get my hands on the regular size as I'm not sure I can manage without it once it's gone! I was also really looking forward to testing out the Philip Kingsley Elasticizer as my hair has been feeling really dry of late so I was hoping that this would help improve the quality and texture, however the sample size really wasn't enough for it to work properly. My hair is ridiculously thick so I ended up using the entire tube on my hair, yet it hardly covered it so I didn't really feel any difference which was unfortunate. I imagine if I had more it would have been a lot more effective but I don't really have £20-£30 to spend on a hair treatment that may or may not work at the moment!

I also thought I'd share some of the Christmas presents I got (plus the card I made for my sister) because I'm pretty pleased with them, plus one of them will hopefully have a positive impact here on the blog...





























Yep, I finally got a DSLR! It's a Nikon D5100 and I'm chuffed to bits with it, I physically hugged the box when I opened it on Christmas Day! My dad had been sneaking around getting me and my brother a DSLR each, seen as my brother had been moaning about wanting one as well, which meant my dad could go into Jessops and have a good haggle (two of his favourite things to do). He also got my sister a Sony Handycam so I can't imagine what he actually spent in there, a bit of a discount is the least they could do! The Glossybox pictures above were all taken on my old camera, whereas the shot of my nails was taken with the DSLR and I'm really pleased with the improvement in quality. I'm looking forward to improving my outfit shots as well.











































































































Further gifts include: 1: Sony Docking Station; 2: New Look Leather Jacket (yes I know I already have a perfectly nice biker but this one's cropped!); 3: Super pretty tea-light holder from my auntie and uncle; 3: Blu-rays of Captain America and The Fifth Element (probably my favourite film, it's mental but I love it); 4: New Protest the Hero album and an old Queens of the Stone Age album I've wanted for ages; 5: Necklace from Topshop, although this one technically wasn't a gift as it was an after-Christmas purchase (i.e. a gift to myself!); 6: Made cards for my family, this is the one I made for my sister (i.e. photoshopped a pink santa hat onto a drawing I did of my rabbit, then surrounded it with scribbly polka-dots); 7: Midi dresses from Topshop; 8: Max Factor Lip Tint and cute little cross earrings from Urban Outfitters, both from my sister.

As you can see I've been playing around with my new camera taking these pictures, I still have very little clue on how it actually works therefore I'm pretty rubbish with it right now, but I'm hoping I'll get better with practice and probably a lot of studying of the accompanying manual. Wish me luck as I'm probably going to need it!

Finally I just wanted to thank those of you have read and commented on my last post, it means so much to me that you've taken the time to read and respond. Writing a post like that is like my own form of therapy, getting all those niggling worries out and into writing takes a weight off my mind like you wouldn't believe, so thank you so much for your support.

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your camera! Love the dresses & necklace, too.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to leave me a comment to let me know what you think, it really makes my day to read them! ♥